Re: [gardeners] Re: Harvesting herbs

Ron Hay (gardeners@globalgarden.com)
Thu, 14 Oct 1999 07:23:30 -0700

Hi, Bob,

It would certainly depend upon the kind of parmesan cheese one is using. If
you were accustomed to using a really good Parmesano Reggiano or even a
Pecorino Tuscarello, you would miss the taste of true pesto, sadly, if you
were either to cut out or limit the cheese. If one were using Kraft (heaven
forefend!), there would probably not be much loss.

As for walnuts, they are fine, as long as you toast them first, as one would
with pine nuts. Pine nuts, when toasted, also make a lovely addition to a
green salad with green onions and  plump yellow raisins served with a white
wine vinegar vinaigrette. It is the perfect foil to a main course featuring a
pasta sauce, especially one with a fair amount of red/green pepper and/or
tomato in it. If you are so fortunate as we are to live within an hour of a
pinon pine forest, the taste of freshly toasted fresh pine nuts is a bit of
heaven.

Just a couple of thoughts from So Cal

Ron