Re: [gardeners] November in a Los Angeles Garden

Kay Lancaster (gardeners@globalgarden.com)
Thu, 4 Nov 1999 04:50:16 -0800 (PST)

On Thu, 4 Nov 1999 AMGarden@aol.com wrote:

> In a message dated 11/2/99 10:28:38 PM Eastern Standard Time,
> ronhay@pacbell.net writes:
>
> > Among the non-edibles, our philodendron, which I believe is called
> >  "monstera deliciosa," because of its edible fruit, about the size of a
> >  large banana, is about to bloom. This plant has 4' toothed leaves, and a
> >  flower which looks like a jack-in-the-pulpit on steroids.
>
> Can you tell me more about the edible fruits?  I have 5 of these in my back
> yard.  They smell peppery when trimmed.  What does the fruit tase like?

You might well have a blooming size Monstera (cut leaf philodendron).
When ripe, the individual segments taste of pineapple and banana, and
are very good.  However, there are some nasty little hairs that you
have to be careful of, as they stick in your  tongue.

Kay Lancaster  kay@fern.com