Re: Bonnie Plants was Re: [gardeners] Breeze/Cans & transplants

Thu, 13 Jan 2000 14:17:00 -0600

Linda Baranowski-Smith wrote:

> >Allen and Judy Merten wrote:
> >>
> >>     I have to put in a plug for a grower that I have had super success using
> >> their plants. Hope George doesn't mind. The grower is Bonnie Plants.
> >>They have
> >> a website, www.bonnieplants.com. I have been buying plants from them for the
> >> last 2 years, this will be the third. <snip> They also have the plants that
> >> are recommended for my area. The big chain nurseries usually have more plants
> >> for other areas and a limited amount of recommended varieties.
> >>     Allen
> >>     Bastrop Co., SE Central Tx.
> >>     Zone 8
>
> >Ma Non Cheri, I don't mind me. I only use Bonnie Plants on the times we
> >buy seedlings. Same reasons you do, they're healthy when you get them,
> <snip>
> >I have a friend, lives somewhere over around Uvalde, Tx, but works here
> >fixing elevators. He's putting in 4 very large greenhouses and has set
> >up to grow plants for Bonnie. They use independent contractors all
> >around the country, give them the greenhouse blueprints, help them find
> >financing, and then order plants in advance. <snip>
> >
> >George
>
> Hi Guys...
>
> I found this very interesting because Bonnie Plants bought-out Woodcreek
> Farms, Cygnet, Ohio, a big operation and one of our local plug suppliers.
> We were down there yesterday because the former owner is selling everything
> that Bonnie Plants doesn't want and he's also overseeing the Bonnie Plant
> greenhouse construction on site.  The framework is up for the greenhouse
> range... think there are 40 houses.  This operation is number 35 for Bonnie
> Plant and they've just bought another place near Chicago that will be
> number 36.  From the conversations we had yesterday, my understanding is
> that Bonnie grows annuals for mass merchandisers.  Do they sell to
> individuals in your part of the country?
>
> Linda in NW Ohio near Toledo/Lake Erie, USDA Zone 5
> llbs@glasscity.net

Around here they mostly sell to feed and seed stores although one year
Walmart carried Bonnie Plants. I think they sell to any merchandiser
that will order enough plants to make it worth their while.

George