Re: [gardeners] Saturday in the garden

Sun, 16 Jan 2000 10:27:05 -0600

"David G. Smith" wrote:

> At 02:27 PM 1/15/00 -0600, you wrote:
> >Went out today and pulled the starter pots and flats out of the
> >greenhouse. Made up a solution of bleach and water in a 35 gallon trash
> >can and soaked them for four hours. They're now dripping dry and airing
> >out. Once they're ready I'll fill with potting soil and then water them
> >heavily and let sit for 12-16 hours to make sure they're good and wet.
> >Then the seeds will go in and under the plastic wrap and the lights
> >they'll go.
> What can you tell us about Burmese Okra?  That's a new one for me.
>
> David

Not a lot. This is our first year to grow it. Got the seeds from a good
friend. Have seen claims that the Burmese okra is non-slimy when cooked
and one corespondent said it could be eaten raw with no problems. I
don't intend to eat it raw but am willing to eat it cooked in a gumbo or
fried.

Also planting some Giant African Okra, aka luffa gourd. Gonna try some
of them when they're small and see how they taste. Since we already eat
two similar varieties of edible gourd it shouldn't hurt. <VBG>

George