Re: [gardeners] Re: Pulling stumps <was> bursitis relief

Sat, 08 Apr 2000 08:29:10 -0500

penny x stamm wrote:

> Bob & George et al,  we got a serious panic today when Jimmie
> suddenly said he was experiencing a partial grey-out of vision
> in his good eye.  Outragously stubborn man, when it happened
> once two weeks ago and he could see nothing, he would not call
> the eye doctor, no matter what information I gave him. Today, he
> listened to me, and we went over for a thorough look-see.
>
> Botom line, it's not a retinal detachment which I had feared, but
> instead it's called a PVD, or Posterior Vitreous Detachment, and
> is considered harmless.  WHEWWWWW!   The vision returns after
> ten minutes....  The doctor said the vitreous is like a ball of stuff,
> and keeps the eye expanded just like air keeps a football up.
> Jim is allowed to do any kind of heavy work (hah!), and that's
> that.
>
> The doctor also said that the reason Jim didn't call him the first time
> is obvious:  why does it take a million sperm to fertilize one ovum...?
> The answer is, of course, because the lucky one which makes it is
> the only one who will ask directions.........   Just like a man, said the
> nurse. Also said his wife.
>
> Amen. What a scare . .
> It's 13 minutes to midnight and I'm off to the local High School
> grounds to attempt to see  the aurora borealis, the bright colored
> lights in the sky. It NEVER comes to this latitude, but this being the
> year of the maximum sun spots, we are in luck.  Maybe. I hope.
>
> Penny, NY

> Juno now offers FREE Internet Access!
> http://dl.www.juno.com/get/tagj.

Yup, vitreous detachment is harmless. Got 'em in both eyes and they're
slowly healing. A real pain though as the floaters you get are annoying.
I never lost my vision completely with either one but still get bright
flashes of light in the edges of my vision once in awhile. It's scary
enough to make you worry though. I'm glad it wasn't something more
serious.

George