[gardeners] Louisiana lightning

Bob Kirk (gardeners@globalgarden.com)
Thu, 4 May 2000 00:24:58 -0500 (CDT)

> From: George Shirley <gshirley@lightwire.net>
> Subject: [gardeners] More rain
>
> Was rudely awakened at 0102 this morning by a monstrous blast of thunder
> and the night sky was lit up by the subsequent lightning bolt.....

   Even the lightning is laid-back: the South, you gotta love it (sorry,
George). For no reason I can discern, this reminds me of hearing train
whistles on dull, muggy afternoons back home - not even the Union Pacific
at the south edge of town but specifically Santa Fe trains coming down from
the broken prairie north or crossing the Smoky Hill River a few blocks SW
of where I grew up, which means I couldn't have been more than 7-8 years
old because that was when they quit running.
  In other words, at least a few years before I'd ever heard of any such
thing as reincarnation or even US geography for that matter - and telling
other people (who certainly don't remember), something like "I remember
that they sounded like that on the Gulf Coast."

   bk---

not claiming to be George's grandfather or anything, still thinks
train whistles are spookier even than most people think they are.