RE: [gardeners] Dead St. Augustine around oak

Jeannine Kantz (gardeners@globalgarden.com)
Wed, 17 May 2000 12:17:11 -0500

That makes sense. I wondered about something like that, since we have had
some serious droughts these past couple of years and I know the yard was
not a priority with the people who lived here before me. I don't think its
a fungus because it coincides too exactly with the shape of the tree on
both live oak trees. I'd like to see if feeding and watering will change
things. Will try that first before resorting to fungicides.
Thanks.

At 11:36 AM 5/17/00 -0500, you wrote:
>> I saw a similar message to this one from the 98 archives. My St Augustine
>> is dying in a ring that coincides exactly with the dripline of my live oak
>> trees. The trees have been there about 5 years. The grass is fine.
>
>I don't really know much about live oaks...but the most active feeder root
>system for white oaks coincides with the dripline.  That's where we're
>supposed to fertilize them ... and that's where the most intense competition
>for resources would be.  That area would receive the most sun to dry out
>plants, and it might make enough of a difference during droughts to cause
>trouble for your grass...resulting in a dead ring around the live oak tree.
>
> Barb in Southern Indiana  Zone 5/6  dorsett@blueriver.net
>    A root is a flower that disdains fame.

Jeannine Kantz
jkantz@tca.net