Re: [gardeners] Hail :(

margaret lauterbach (gardeners@globalgarden.com)
Mon, 05 Jun 2000 09:17:31 -0600

At 06:25 AM 6/5/2000 -0400, you wrote:
> start to the spring to summer garden. Peas were great, potatoes slow (put
>in too late) and then it hit! Saturday here in Raleigh, we got hit with
>golf ball size hail. The real killer was the duration of the storm. It must
>have hailed for 25 to 30 minutes.
>
>The garden was inialated!
>
>Any broad leaf crop (cukes, squash) leaves looked like they had been hit
>with a shot gun blast. The 2 ft. corn was laid over sideways. I wintered a
>Red Sevinia Habanero and it was doing great. Bunches of flowers. Now Sunday
>morning it looked like fall under the plant with all the leaves on the
ground.

>We went out to save what we could. The green beens had been hilled and now
>were just a mess.
>
>Life goes on. I told Cindy to just be glad we still have a warm dry house
>in one piece.
>
>That storm was huge. Don't see how the windows stood the heavy pounding
>without breaking.
>
>Take care all.

I'm sorry about your storm, Craig. I think your chile could recover. Just
prop it up,a nd it will re-leaf. You can also prop up the corn, and as it
recovers, pack dirt on the "downhill side" of the roots to keep it upright
until it produces. That is not a storm you want to be caught out in. Wow.
Margaret L