Re: [gardeners] know these tomatos?/saving seeds

margaret lauterbach (gardeners@globalgarden.com)
Mon, 05 Jun 2000 11:12:26 -0600

At 06:19 PM 6/4/2000 -0500, you wrote:
>Gardeners,
>    Are any of you familiar with these varieties of tomatos?
>Arkansas Traveler - heirloom variety
>Bradley - heirloom variety?
>Fireball - early variety
>Floramerica VFFA Hybrid, U of Fla.-1978
>Heatwave VFFA Hybrid
>Sioux - heirloom variety from U of Neb.-1944
>Solar Set VFF Hybrid U. of Fla.
>Sun Chaser VFFA Hybrid
>Sun Leaper VFF Hybrid, NC St.
>Sunmaster VFFA Hybrid
>    All of the above are supposed to keep producing in hot weather, or were
>bred for hot weather production. Any description of your experiences growing
>them, flavor, etc. would be appreciated.
>    Any other hot weather tomatos that are known to the list members?
>    Would someone please give me instructions on saving seeds from tomatos?
>I know that it has been on the list in the past. I didn't pay much attention
>to it at the time. I didn't figure on saving seeds. I'll take the 30 lashes
>if I can get the information. (;-}
>    I'm going to try some of the old varieties that my dad and I planted
>years ago like Rutgers, Gulf States and Homestead. They were good producers
>of tasty tomatos.
>    Isn't the number of tomato varieties astonishing?
>Thanks,
> Allen
> Bastrop Co, SE Central TX
> Zone 8

Allen, don't try to save seeds from the hybrid varieties (those that have
VF, VFN, etc., after their names). Cut a tomato in half, stem end on top
and blossom end on bottom, and squeeze the seeds and gel into a small
container. Add a bit of water and identify the variety on a tag of some
sort. Set the container aside where you won't be disturbed by its
fermenting odor. It helps to stir it now and again. After three or four
days, remove the scum and pour seeds and juice into a sieve. Rinse seeds
thoroughly with water, shake drops of water from the sieve, then bang it
upside down on a plate to remove the seeds. Put an id tag on the plate and
put it someplace like a china cabinet to dry thoroughly. A lot of people
use a paper plate, but the seeds stick to paper and are hard to remove
without damaging the seed. Margaret L