Re: [gardeners] know these tomatos?/saving seeds

margaret lauterbach (gardeners@globalgarden.com)
Mon, 05 Jun 2000 08:41:30 -0600

At 06:19 PM 6/4/2000 -0500, you wrote:
>Gardeners,
>    Are any of you familiar with these varieties of tomatos?
>Arkansas Traveler - heirloom variety
>Bradley - heirloom variety?
>Fireball - early variety
>Floramerica VFFA Hybrid, U of Fla.-1978
>Heatwave VFFA Hybrid
>Sioux - heirloom variety from U of Neb.-1944
>Solar Set VFF Hybrid U. of Fla.
>Sun Chaser VFFA Hybrid
>Sun Leaper VFF Hybrid, NC St.
>Sunmaster VFFA Hybrid
>    All of the above are supposed to keep producing in hot weather, or were
>bred for hot weather production. Any description of your experiences growing
>them, flavor, etc. would be appreciated.
>    Any other hot weather tomatos that are known to the list members?
>    Would someone please give me instructions on saving seeds from tomatos?
>I know that it has been on the list in the past. I didn't pay much attention
>to it at the time. I didn't figure on saving seeds. I'll take the 30 lashes
>if I can get the information. (;-}
>    I'm going to try some of the old varieties that my dad and I planted
>years ago like Rutgers, Gulf States and Homestead. They were good producers
>of tasty tomatos.
>    Isn't the number of tomato varieties astonishing?
>Thanks,
> Allen
> Bastrop Co, SE Central TX
> Zone 8

Allen, I don't have similar heat considerations, but I have grown
Floramerica. It's quite a beautiful plant, especially with all of the nice
large round perfect red tomatoes on it. But they're mini-cannonballs, firm
and tough and pretty tasteless IMO. Margaret L