Re: [gardeners] buddleia needs help

barbb@micron.net (gardeners@globalgarden.com)
Wed, 07 Jun 2000 10:28:56 -0600

At 07:11 PM 6/6/00 -0400, you wrote:
>Barb,
>Give the tree a good soaking and let it drain, but don't let it dry out for
>a while.  You may want to cut back the bush a little too, as it is losing a
>lot of water from it's leaves and not pulling enough through the roots.
>Essentially, it was root pruned when you dug it up.  A lot of the little
>tiny end roots that pull up water and nutrients were left behind or damaged.
>Trimming the top may give it a little help, by giving the roots less to
>support.  It is a good idea to root prune a few months before you move a
>bush, by pushing the shovel down around the root ball, that way those little
>capillary roots form closer to the root ball you will be moving later.
>Anne in FL
>zone 9b, sunset 26
>
>I'd rather be gardening

We had a really cool night here, and it looked a little better this am, but
still droopy.  So I cut 6 or 7 (kinda small) branches.  Now that you
mention little roots, after I dug it up there was some cheat grass still
around it which I pulled out.  Lots of little roots came with the grass, so
I'm sure that's a big part of the problem.  Thanks.
Barb