Re: [gardeners] Bird bath

Martha Brown (gardeners@globalgarden.com)
Fri, 16 Jun 2000 10:47:15 -0500

George,

On a pond tour a couple of years ago one home had
built a mountain rockscape that filled the entire
backyard with concrete over a wooden frame covered
with chicken wire.  They had a stream with
waterfalls etc.  They used water-based exterior
house paint to seal it.  It was several years old
and they were well pleased with it.

Some of the concrete statuary that is sold in this
area is also painted with it.  They use oil base
to spot cover any metal reinforcement bars that
are visible then coat with water based exterior
paint.  A thin coat of a second color that is
wiped off some surfaces leaves an antique finish.

Martha

----- Original Message -----
From: George Shirley <gshirley@lightwire.net>
To: <gardeners@globalgarden.com>
Sent: Friday, June 16, 2000 6:34 AM
Subject: Re: [gardeners] Bird bath

I've got in an area unaccessable to the birds at
the moment with water in it.
May try to acidize the new concrete as you
suggested. I was really looking for a
way to keep the water from continuously seeping
into the concrete. Thanks.

George

Donna Dawson wrote:

> Hi George...when we put our concrete pond in 9
years ago...all we did when
> the concrete had dried and cured was wash it out
with a combination of
> vinegar and water...did this a few times
initially, but have done nothing
> since...never painted it, just left it the
concrete way...and you did get a
> bargain!
> Donna
> http://www.ICanGarden.com

Behalf Of George Shirley
> Sent: June 15, 2000 8:27 PM
> To: Gardeners List
> Subject: [gardeners] Bird bath
>
> Just got a concrete birdbath from a friends son.
The son works at a concrete
> place that makes steps, curb stops, etc. He told
me they had a large
> birdbath
> and I could get one for 40 bux. Since even the
little ones around here are
> nearly that much I told him yeah and gave him
the money. He delivered it
> this
> afternoon. Took 4 of us just to get the base out
of his truck, figured the
> base
> weighs about 150 lbs. It is 14 inches in
diameter at the base tapering to 10
> inches at the top and has a fluted design. The
bowl is 32 inches across just
> at
> the water line and another 4 inches past that. I
do believe I got my moneys
> worth out of this thing.
>
> Anyone know of a non-toxic concrete paint that I
can use to coat the bath