Re: [gardeners] The tomatoes have started rolling in!

Margaret Lauterbach (gardeners@globalgarden.com)
Tue, 11 Jul 2000 08:52:36 -0600

At 07:25 AM 7/11/00 -0700, you wrote:
>Good morning, Penny,
>
>We eat a lot of tomato dishes during the summer:) Variations of veggie
>sauces with peppers, tomatoes, eggplant, zucchini; non-veggie sauces
>with pancetta, various sausages; lots of Mexican and Indian dishes, too.
>
>This year the heirloom varieties will likely not produce enough for us
>to can anywhere near the 17 quarts last summer (we gave away at least
>that many to friends).
>
>It is a delight to see and taste the lovely colors and textures of the
>various heirlooms that we have planted. So far, the very sweetest appear
>to be the Yellow Years and Sungolds; Black Krim are amazingly juicy in a
>beefsteaky sort of way with a delightful note of salt.
>
>It's just so much fun figuring out what to do with this bounty!
>
>Ron

Ron, if you're canning tomatoes, watch out for the Black Krims. I haven't
noticed their gel (around the seeds) being discolored, but a couple of
years ago I canned Black from Tula in with the rest of my tomatoes, and as
I filled one hot jar I noticed brownish-black gel going into the jar.
Looked like I was canning rotten stuff, but I wasn't. I don't think you'll
have that trouble with Black Krim, but watch out for it.  Margaret L