Re: [gardeners] The tomatoes have started rolling in!

Ron Hay (gardeners@globalgarden.com)
Tue, 11 Jul 2000 07:25:35 -0700

Good morning, Penny,

We eat a lot of tomato dishes during the summer:) Variations of veggie
sauces with peppers, tomatoes, eggplant, zucchini; non-veggie sauces
with pancetta, various sausages; lots of Mexican and Indian dishes, too.

This year the heirloom varieties will likely not produce enough for us
to can anywhere near the 17 quarts last summer (we gave away at least
that many to friends).

It is a delight to see and taste the lovely colors and textures of the
various heirlooms that we have planted. So far, the very sweetest appear
to be the Yellow Years and Sungolds; Black Krim are amazingly juicy in a
beefsteaky sort of way with a delightful note of salt.

It's just so much fun figuring out what to do with this bounty!

Ron