Re: [gardeners] Heat wave

Fri, 01 Sep 2000 08:38:48 -0500

I've got an el cheapo Hamilton Beach, $30 or $40 at Walmart, don't remember
exact cost. Not suitable for heavy duty cheffing but works for making slaw,
julienning carrots, etc. Has a chopping blade, and three grating, slicing
blades. Two of the blades are for either thick or thin slicing. When I'm putting
up carrots I use the slicing blade. Only problem I have with it is that the
place where you shove the veggies in is rather small, particularly if you're
slicing cabbage for kraut. I solved that by going back to my old method with the
big chef's knife.

Like you I tend to use the old hands for mixing stuff unless someone is
watching. I cream butter, etc with either a whisk or a spoon unless it's a big
recipe when I use the 20-year old Oster Kitchen Center mixer. I dread the day
when my kitchen center gives up the ghost, parts are no longer made for it. On
the bright side I would then have an excuse to get the big mixer from either
Regal or KitchenAid.

Good to hear from you Lucinda, how's the farmhouse remodel going?

George