Re: [gardeners] Kimchee

Margaret Lauterbach (gardeners@globalgarden.com)
Sun, 03 Sep 2000 07:35:44 -0600

At 08:50 AM 9/3/00 -0500, you wrote:
>When we were young and counting pennies Miz Anne and I used to buy hearts
>at the
>local abbatoir. They sold them fresh for cat meat or something. I would buy a
>couple of dozen beef hearts for a dime apiece and then grind them into some
>really lean hamburger meat. Heart is just another muscle isn't it. I, too,
>avoid
>organ meat nowadays but for the chloesterol content. We allow ourselves some
>calves liver about every three months and sit and eat our liver and onions
>while
>making groaning noises of delight. We both grew up eating the cheap cuts and
>organ meat and really like liver.
>
>I know what you mean about some of the foods you ran into over there.
>There were
>a few dishes I wouldn't eat until one of my Arab friends told me what was in
>them. Never did learn to like sun dried fish soup, the smell alone was a turn
>off but my friends smacked their lips over it. Guess it's all what you're used
>to.
>
>George

Me too. As a kid I loved stuffed beef heart, but heart was not always
available.  I remember getting excited and saying, "Look Mom, beef
heart.  Beef heart.  Beef heart."  She vanished.  I was mystified about
that until we got home and she told me it sounded like I was saying
something about bees.  That still ticks me off. But we do love liver,
although the calves' liver we've gotten lately has been whitish and cut in
tiny bits. When you buy it in tubs you can't see what's what. I've enjoyed
some beef liver, too. And chicken livers are wonderful. My organ delights
don't extend to other odds and ends of animals, though.  Margaret L