Re: [gardeners]pickled green tomatoes

Carol J. Bova (gardeners@globalgarden.com)
Fri, 29 Sep 2000 01:43:44 -0700

penny x stamm wrote:

> Well, Carol -- I have a garden full of green tomatoes ......
> I'm gonna try your recipe.

Great, definitely let us know how it works... (thanks George for the
additional safety info!)  I haven't done much in the way of canning
since I left Philadelphia and my sour cherry trees there in 1977!  But
since I got such a late start on my tomatoes, I think I'll end up with
some still green by the time days get too short or too cold to ripen
them up. Not sure how that works out here in SoCal! We're near the
mountains, so I'm wondering if that will make the nights colder than in
the valley. Guess I'll find out soon enough.

> Also, I love turmeric. Perhaps you can send that recipe as well...?
> Or maybe it is on that URL you sent. I'll check it out after dinner.
>
> Thanks!
>
> It's getting ccccccold, believe me . .
>
> Penny, NY

Here's that site with the turmeric.. it sounds like it would have a very
different taste:

http://www.thefunplace.com/fence/recipeboard/messages/2398.html
GREEN TOMATO PICKLES
7 1/2 POUNDS GREEN TOMATOES
1/2 CUP SALT
5 YELLOW ONIONS
1 TABLESPOON SALT
2 CUPS SUGAR
2 CUPS WHITE VINEGAR
1 TABLESPOON MUSTARD SEED
1 TEASPOON CELERY SEED
1 TEASPOON WHOLE BLACK PEPPER
1 TEASPOON GINGER
1 TEASPOON TURMERIC
1 TEASPOON SALT
SLICE TOMATOES.PUT 1/2 CUP SALT OVER THEM AND LET STAND ONE HOUR. SLICE
ONIONS: PUT 1 TABLESPOON OF SALT OVER THEM AND LET STAND ONE HOUR.
COMBINE SUGAR, VINEGAR AND SPICES THAT HAVE BEEN PUT INTO A CLOTH BAG.
COOK UNTIL SUGAR IS DISSOLVED. DRAIN TOMATOES AND ONIONS IN COLANDER:
ADD TO VINEGAR SOLUTION. BRING TO A BOIL; REMOVE FROM HEAT AND SEAL IN
STERILE JARS IMMEDIATELY. ESPECIALLY GOOD ON MUSTARD GREENS.
------

And remembering George's note!
"Latest USDA guidelines for canning those pickles would add put in
Boiling Water Bath for at least 10 minutes for quarts, 5 minutes for
pints and always use jars that have been boiled and sterilized."

HTH,
	Carol

|  Carol J. Bova               bova@bovagems.com |
|Cats eye Tourmaline, Laguna agate & other rough |
|http://www.bovagems.com  & The Eclectic Lapidary|