Re: [gardeners] wild turkeys?

Fri, 13 Oct 2000 07:48:28 -0500

Okay, here goes. Wild turkeys run in size from 48 inch tall males to 36 inch
tall females. The young turkeys should be about 2 foot tall at this time of the
year. The white you saw was probably the backs of their heads. Turkeys don't
have a coxscomb, they have red wattles hanging down their front from their
heads. When walking, their normal mode of getting around, their feathers are all
swept back. The body feathers are normally black or brown with an iridescent
sheen when they are in sunlight. They may well have been a small flock of males
who hang together for part of the year, the part that doesn't include breeding
season.

Dollars to donuts they were wild turkeys, your area is within their range.

George