Re: [gardeners] green tomatoes

lneuru (gardeners@globalgarden.com)
Sun, 12 Nov 2000 17:41:18 -0500

The best method for ripening green tomatoes is to pull the ENTIRE plant and
hang upside down from the joists in the basement.  They taste fine.  Try it
next year.  I've always assumed green tomatoes needed sunlight to ripen and
haven't heard of the method you mention but why not try it?

Lucinda

----------
> From: W. Arons <warons@nd.edu>
> To: gardeners@globalgarden.com
> Subject: [gardeners] green tomatoes
> Date: Sunday, November 12, 2000 1:59 PM
>
> Hello folks,
>
> Once again, I seek advice.  My gardening books tell me that green
tomatoes
> will ripen indoors in 2 or 3 weeks, longer if you wrap them individually
in
> newspaper and store them in a cool dark place.  Has anyone tried this, or
> any other method for ripening green tomatoes?  I'm not a fan of fried
green
> tomatoes as much as I like the red ones, and unbelievably we were still
> getting ripe ones up until this week (here in zone 5!).  But snow is on
the
> way, so I've gone out and harvested and now I have a big bucket of green
> tomatoes I'm not quite sure what to do with...
>
> I'd prefer not to have a box of rotting green tomatoes in my basement (to
> join the racks of what look like rotting--but we hope are merely
> "curing"--gourds!) so if you have any tips for success in ripening them,
> please pass them along.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Wendy
>
> (I thought when I moved here from San Diego that I'd have a SHORT
gardening
> season, but in fact we've had more harvest time here than I ever had in
So.