Re: [gardeners] green tomatoes

Margaret Lauterbach (gardeners@globalgarden.com)
Mon, 13 Nov 2000 07:23:51 -0700

At 05:41 PM 11/12/00 -0500, you wrote:

>The best method for ripening green tomatoes is to pull the ENTIRE plant and
>hang upside down from the joists in the basement.  They taste fine.  Try it
>next year.  I've always assumed green tomatoes needed sunlight to ripen and
>haven't heard of the method you mention but why not try it?
>
>Lucinda
Tomatoes do not need sunlight to ripen, Lucinda.  People who put them on
windowsills usually have to clean up rotted tomatoes. I've heard pulling up
the vines and hanging them upside down does work, but I haven't tried it
because yellow and black argiopes inhabit nearly every tomato plant I have.
I don't want them in the house, and they don't want to be in the
house.  Margaret L