Re: [gardeners] OT Gas Prices

lneuru (gardeners@globalgarden.com)
Fri, 15 Dec 2000 14:57:37 -0500

We have that in Nova Scotia, George.  Or most of it.  The house is old wood
frame and we are insulating, but it does have wood heat, a well, and a
cesspit  - on the other siide of the house from the well:)  I think we'll
be seeing more solar energy in the very near future.  Windows are
strategically placed to get the often very warm afternoon sun, which will
warm up a corner to about 80 degrees, even if the air temps are lower.  The
old-timers who did not have electricity and PUCs  knew what they were
doing.

A friend up in the Bruce Peninsula (piney woods on the escarpment, very
*north*) has an earth shelter home, built into side of a small hill and
with old tires filled with earth.  Works very well, and once the decorating
is done, it need not look any different than any other pineywoods home.

I don't think any type of home is unworkable; what one doesn't want to do
is be dependent on purchased energy if it can be avoided.

Lucinda