Re: [gardeners] Re:Saturday in the garden

Alan Zelhart (gardeners@globalgarden.com)
Mon, 12 Feb 2001 13:14:05 -0700

I have no suggestions for that Carol.  I wish I did.  My neighbor has five cats,
and they love to dump in my rose bed on the west side of the house.  Sometimes it
smells so wretched back their, I can hardly stand to work in that part of my
garden.  I'm hoping that as these roses get bigger and the thorns meaner it will
deter them.  They like that area because I have a fine cedar mulch on my beds, to
keep the moisture in and the rose roots cooler.

My personal opinion is, that people who own cats should be as responsible for
keeping them in their yard as dog owners are.  As a matter of fact, that is the
law here in Chandler, Arizona now.  If a cat is found off it's property, it will
go to the pound, no questions asked.  Cats can and should be leash trained just
like Dogs are.  The Arizona Humane Society even advises this now.  Thank God, it
is long over due.  How can anyone love their cat, and then set it free where odds
are high that it will get hit by a car or something even worse?  Right now we are
having trouble with people lighting cats on fire, shooting nail guns at them, one
person even duck taped a kitten to the free way.  People are so cruel, and Cats
don't deserve to be treated this way.  People need to be more responsible in
caring for their pets.  I now, it's an old, never ending story that I don't think
will ever get resolved.  And some people may be angry with me for feeling this
way, thinking its cruel to restrain your cat to your home or protected area.  But
I think it's more cruel to set them free and hope nothing happens to them.

Sorry, I didn't mean to go on a tangent, but this type of animal treatment gets
me going! :<

Alan        Chandler, Arizona        Sunset Zone: 13

http://members.home.net/gizmoaz/~gizmoaz.htm
Over 145 Rose Bushes Planted! 75 Different varieties! Never a dull moment!!