Re: [gardeners] Re:Saturday in the garden

Carol J. Bova (gardeners@globalgarden.com)
Mon, 12 Feb 2001 11:43:55 -0800

I enjoy hearing the dog stories, esp. what they like to nibble in the garden!

At work, we rescued a starving dog 3 years ago, and he recently was retired
to our home. He's part lab and part Rott about 9 years old, absolutely
devoted to us, and amazingly intelligent. But he hates cats and squirrels.
I think he puts them in the same class as rats and 'possums, which he kept
out of the cemetery, usually by dispatching them and leaving them on the
doorstep for us.

When Erff goes out in the yard, he goes on cat patrol and faithfully marks
the fencelines daily, but that doesn't bother the cats in the least. We
have a number of roving neighborhood felines (without collars and tags) who
think my pots on the porch and patio are porta-potties! (They squirrels
seem to have enough sense to stay in the neighbor's yards or in the
trees.)  I believe several neighbors put out food for the cats and they
squeeze through my fence on one side of the yard and climb up the chain
link and jump over on the other. I'm afraid that one day, he's goin to
catch one inside the yard and do away with it.  Anyone have any advice on
getting the cats to detour around the yard?

         Carol
         in Sunland CA where it's almost raining cats & dogs