Re: [gardeners] hot water heater

Mon, 04 Jun 2001 12:14:35 -0500

We have gas heat and a gas water heater. The heater is outside and is vented
through the roof with the relief valve popping off to the sideyard. I just
installed the new one two years ago, it's the third in 27 years according to the
records the previous owner left me. We have hard water and that takes its toll
on water heaters. There are two smoke/fire detectors and two CO detectors in the
house.

In 1993 we replaced the a/c and the furnace with new high efficiency units. The
plenum of the old furnace had a small rust hole in it so we just replaced it.
Later this year I'm having a contractor come in, take all the heating/cooling
ducts down, clean them, screw them back together (they're just shoved together
now) and then put 3 metal screws in them and then put "dope" (some sort of
sealing compound) on each joint. The ductwork will then be covered with 3 inches
of fiberglas insulation and another 12 inches will be blown into the attic. That
will give the attic 18 inches of insulation and should insure better
heating/cooling efficiency all the way around. Our major problem is heat, not
cold as in the northern/eastern states. Hopefully the investment of a couple of
thousand bux will result in much lower energy bills.

We're also taking all the carpets up in the house. They're old anyway so it's no
big loss. We're putting in hard surfaces, probably Pergo, easier to care for,
less animal and human dander to increase allergy suffering and offers a way to
show off all the oriental carpets we brought back from the Middle East. Gotta do
the remodeling now before we go on Social Security. <BSEG>

George