Re: [gardeners] national naval medical hospital

Tue, 26 Jun 2001 13:31:47 -0500

I found the Southern Maryland summers to be just as bad as the Texas/Louisiana
coast summers, a little less rain but just as much heat, humidity, and skeeters.
Winters were different. I was 18 when I was assigned to Patuxent River Naval Air
Station. Got there in January 1958 and it snowed while I was checking in. Got
chastised by a senior officer for playing in the snow instead of doing my job.
He finally asked me where I was from and I told him SE Texas and I had never
seen snow before. He told me to go on about my business and play after I got off
duty. Spent the afternoon cardboard sledding down a small rise along with the
rest of the southern boys. We had a blast and then we learned to dislike the
snow, ice, and other bad things about a winter in the NE. I hitchhiked from
Newport, RI to Southern MD in December 1959 in a flipping blizzard just to ask
Miz Anne to marry me. Made the trip really worthwhile when she said yes. A year
later we were married and have a good life since. Good things do come out of
YankeeLand if you pick carefully. <VBG>

George