Re: [gardeners] The lazy goatkeeper

Tue, 03 Jul 2001 19:35:02 -0500

I'll check on the separator but IIRC the bowls on it need retinning. They were
starting to rust when I got it 30 years ago. I oiled it to stop the rust but
haven't even looked at it in almost 15 years.

I had a friend in Texas who rented out brush goats to people who had acreage to
clear. Fifty cents per head per month. The goats cleared all the brambles,
greenbriar, and sweet gum off the property and ate all the trees up as high as
they could reach. After 6 months to a year the property looked like a park. This
old boy was pretty smart, got his goats fed free, had all does and turned the
billies in with them so got the increase, usually twins, sometimes triplets. On
top of that they paid him cash money. Used to go out once in awhile and pick up
a cabrito for dinner but other than that just checked on them once in awhile.

I wouldn't be surprised at the number of toxic plants, used to teach 4H kids a
course on such things. Goats will even eat azaleas but so will deer. My milking
does and their kids kept 5 acres clean of trash trees and brush for a few years.
Finally both got mastitus and ended up as sausage.

George