Re: [gardeners] pear butter, a funny story

Sat, 04 Aug 2001 08:26:21 -0500

These are Kieffers but a newer variety than the old "big as a softball, hard as a rock" ones. These
do ripen sweet and soft so are a delight to eat raw. I even used to like the old ones, peel, cut
into chunks and chew 'em up.

I put my pears, cooked until soft, hide hair and all, through a food mill. I get pear puree and
juice out of one port and skins, seeds, and long fibers out the other. Drain the juice out of the
pulp and then cook. Basically you just bring it up to canning temperature rather than cooking it
down.

I used to feed the stock all the old-style Kieffers that fell off my folks two trees, one of which
is still standing and still producing since it was planted in 1949.

George