[gardeners] Re: OT (sort of) Carbonate Hardness in water?

Elizabeth (gardeners@globalgarden.com)
Sun, 5 Aug 2001 16:51:09 -0700

------=_NextPart_000_005B_01C11DCE.D3CED2E0

We had the same problem with the pond at our other house.  The pond and =
waterfall were lined with native limestone (which can add to the water =
hardness). =20
I was alarmed by the high pH the first time I tested.  I did a lot of =
reading, most of which I've forgotten now.  I tried pH + and pH -, which =
didn't do enough, and was only temporary, anyway.=20
A local pet store fish person told me to change about 1/3 of the water =
several times a year, because as the water evaporated, it left more of =
the salts and other stuff that made the water KH so high.  In our hot KY =
summers, I didn't have to change out the water, because it evaporated =
fast enough that I topped it off every so often.
Wish I could remember specifics for you--I may have some of my =
terminology wrong.  Basically, I never changed the water pH =
substantially, or anything else.  I just added fresh water when needed, =
along with chemicals to neutralize the chloramines in our water.  I also =
occasionally added chemicals to neutralize excess nitrites (or nitrates, =
whichever is quickly fatal in excess). =20
Also, the person at the pet store said if you started with smaller fish, =
they could better adapt themselves to my pond's conditions.  That did =
seem to work.  Though I occasionally had a perfectly healthy-looking =
fish floating at the top when I came out in the morning.  Bugged the =
heck out of me!  =20
When our new house is finished, one of my first projects will be putting =
in a garden pond.  :)

Elizabeth
tiarella@bellsouth.net
Zone 6, KY