Re: [gardeners] Applesauce/basil

Elizabeth (gardeners@globalgarden.com)
Sun, 5 Aug 2001 16:58:50 -0700

------=_NextPart_000_006A_01C11DCF.E69450C0

Rosemary,

Hi!  Re:  the best time to prune wisteria--we did it right after it =
flowered so we wouldn't accidently cut off the next year's blooms.

How are you coping with your lovely Eastern KY clay?  Are you amending =
your planting beds, amending planting holes, using raised beds? =20

We used to have wonderful soil in Georgetown.  We're finally building =
our new house on 10 acres of some of the worst soil in the area.  We've =
planted a lot of trees directly in the "soil" (does it even deserve that =
term?) and just added a little pink bark mulch in the hole for aeration. =
 I'm thinking raised beds will be the way to go for my perennials and =
annuals.

Have you found any plants that do particularly well for you in your =
location, now that you've been there for a while?

Great to hear from you!

Elizabeth
tiarella@bellsouth.net
Zone 6, KY

  ----- Original Message -----=20
  From: Rosemary Carlson=20
  To: gardeners@globalgarden.com=20
  Sent: Sunday, August 05, 2001 10:10 AM
  Subject: [gardeners] Applesauce/basil

  Hi everyone: Delurking for a minute to ask a question. BTW, I'm always
  reading this list even though I don't post much anymore. Good to see =
your
  names, Margaret, George, Lucinda - everyone.

  I know there are a couple of folks on the list who are diabetic - as =
am I. I
  came across some nice June apples and I want to make chunky applesauce =
in a
  crackpot today. Question -- has anyone ever done this using Equal =
instead of
  sugar? I fear Equal would break down in the prolonged heat of the =
crockpot.

  I HAVE made cranberry relish to freeze using Equal - it was fine. But
  cooking with it is a different story and I really do NOT need the =
sugar in
  the applesauce recipe!

  Another question. Can basil be grown indoors if one has a sunny =
window?

  Just a brief run-down on me. Still not gardening much as I work all =
the
  time...also because I'm in the woods and it's tough due to the deer! I =
did
  put in a mop-head hydrangea and 2 blue hydrangeas this year that are =
doing
  great! Could NOT grow an oakleaf hydrangea here. VERY clay soil - and =
  apparently put it in a spot that was too wet unbeknownst to me. Also a =
birch
  tree -- and, due to the deer, don't know about that. I probably won't =
know
  until next year. Put in a wisteria that has decided to TAKE OVER THE =
HOUSE.
  Jeez. When is the best time to prune wisteria? I know it may not bloom =
in my
  lifetime! :)

  Rhodies, mountain laurel doing great. Azaleas not so great but hanging =
in. I
  think there is too much shade for the azaleas.

  Have a new member of my household! Those of you who know me know I =
have
  Welsh Corgis. I have two right now - my old guy, Zach, who is 13 and =
Eliza,
  who is almost two (and too big for her britches!). Also have Abby, a =
Maine
  Coon Cat. 2 weeks ago, Murphy came to live with me. He's 1/2 German =
Shepherd
  and 1/2 Collie and talk about a GOOD DOG!! He is wonderful and I'm =
convinced
  he was sent to me as my guardian angel! :) He's totally obedience =
trained -
  and, I suspect, guard trained. I live so far out in the boondocks that =
he's
  wonderful to have! He's outdoors mostly, of course. He prefers that as =
he
  thinks it's his job to guard the property.....though I'm sure, come =
winter,
  he'll be sleeping by my bed! Abby isn't too fond of him. :)

  Hope all of you are well and I want to try to participate on the list =
more!
  Any time anyone wants to post no (or low) sugar recipes, please do! =
Those of
  us that can't eat much/any sugar need them!

  Now back to the applesauce...

  Rosemary, Zone 6a, on top of a mountain in Eastern KY

------=_NextPart_000_006A_01C11DCF.E69450C0

Rosemary,

Hi!  Re:  the best time to = prune=20 wisteria--we did it right after it flowered so we wouldn't accidently = cut off=20 the next year's blooms.

How are you coping with your lovely = Eastern KY=20 clay?  Are you amending your planting beds, amending planting = holes, using=20 raised beds?

We used to have wonderful soil in = Georgetown. =20 We're finally building our new house on 10 acres of some of the worst = soil in=20 the area.  We've planted a lot of trees directly in the "soil" = (does it=20 even deserve that term?) and just added a little pink bark mulch in the = hole for=20 aeration.  I'm thinking raised beds will be the way to go for my = perennials=20 and annuals.

Have you found any plants that do = particularly well=20 for you in your location, now that you've been there for a = while?

Great to hear from you!

Elizabeth
tiarella@bellsouth.net<= /DIV>
Zone 6, KY