RE: [gardeners] Applesauce/basil

Rosemary Carlson (gardeners@globalgarden.com)
Sun, 5 Aug 2001 17:44:15 -0400

------=_NextPart_000_0012_01C11DD6.3ECFD7E0

Hi Elizabeth! Glad to hear you're doing well. I thought the soil in
Lexington was bad. Jeez! The soil on top of this mountain in eastern KY is
solid clay. Amend it? You can't hardly amend it - it's like concrete! The
only real "bed" I have is along the entire front of my house where I use
alot of shade perennials mixed among rhodies and azaleas. What I've done is
put as much pine bark mulch as soil (or more) in the bed and in every hole I
dig. I also use a landscaping mix - it's called Barky Beaver and you can
only get it at Hillenmeyer's but it is WORTH it......if you can mix it with
the clay. I've successfully gotten the shade perennials to grow but I killed
an oakleaf hydrangea :( because I didn't amend the soil enough :(.  I've
also gotten a witch hazel, 2 pussywillows, all kinds of hydrangea (except
the oakleaf and that was my fault!), mountain laurel, redbud, etc. to grow.
I also have a Henryii clematis that is actually GROWING! Planted it this
spring -- thinking it would NOT make it due to the soil AND lack of sun but
it's doing well so far and has even had a couple of blooms. That's a
clematis you might try in your soil. Hydrangeas, BTW, LOVE the clay as they
can sit in water for as long as they like. :)

Deer are a huge problem here - actually, they aren't a problem as I feel
like this is their land that they are allowing me to live on! :) But, they
do play havoc with plants. I feed the deer at a feeding station some
distance from my house. That cuts down on damage somewhat. But, if I forget
to feed them one day.....well, I think they punish me by munching on my
plants. They DON'T like hydrangea or rhodies FWIW.

Thanks for the advice about pruning the wisteria. I hear they sometimes take
YEARS to bloom. This is the first year for mine and the vine has grown to
the roof!! Right up the downspout! I hope it will bloom in the spring but
realize it may be too soon.

Keep in touch!

Rosemary, zone 6a, on top of a mountain in Eastern KY........where it is not
NEARLY as hot as it used to feel in Lexington!
Freelance writer and columnist
www.patagon.com
www.bankrate.com