Diabetes, was Re: [gardeners] Applesauce/basil

Mon, 06 Aug 2001 15:28:53 -0500

I have the same problem with pasta, rice, and large amounts of potatoes. Half a baked potato with
low fat margarine or just a smidgen of real butter doesn't raise my BG, the whole potato does. Half
a cup of rice is okay as is half a cup of pasta. Now how is a grown man supposed to eat a half cup
of pasta or rice, particularly with spaghetti sauce on the pasta or gumbo on the rice. <VBG>

Today for lunch I took some left over ground beef, cooked half an onion to go in it, put in some
chili powder and a little tomato puree, put it on one slice of wheat bread and had a feast for a
king. Even the dog liked it. Checked my blood sugar two hours later and it was 101, don't know what
the dog's was. As long as I stay between 80 and 140 I feel okay, don't really start feeling bad
until I'm over 200. I have a plate of pasta once in a while but I don't eat bread, potatoes, or rice
for a couple of days before and after. Generally one small plate of the stuff raises my BG to about
180. I can live with that once a month.

If I go hypoglycemic I am useless for the next 24 hours too, all I want to do is sleep. When I was
running around with BG above 400, pre-diagnosis, I had lots of energy, slept well, but had to
urinate every 45 minutes to an hour and drink about 3 gallons of water a day to match the thirst.
Went undiagnosed for about 3 years and then had my second heart attack. I'm more careful now and
test my blood at least daily and often more times. You can't beat diabetes but you can live with it
peacefully, it just takes determination.

George