Happy Birthday! Re: [gardeners] Friday in the garden

Elizabeth (gardeners@globalgarden.com)
Sun, 23 Sep 2001 09:32:05 -0400

------=_NextPart_000_0041_01C14412.9B857780

Happy Birthday to George today!  May there be many more happy ones.

Elizabeth
tiarella@bellsouth.net
  ----- Original Message -----=20
  From: George Shirley=20
  To: Gardeners List=20
  Sent: Friday, September 21, 2001 8:54 PM
  Subject: [gardeners] Friday in the garden

  Had to work all morning and finally finished the job at 1:30 pm, =
Sleepy sure was glad to see me
  home. Took a stroll around the garden and harvested some okra that was =
about 10 inches long and
  woody. Went immediately to the compost heap. Was going to go back out =
and rip the okra and eggplant
  out and start spreading rye grass seed but we had torrential downpours =
and lightning storms coming
  through for about 2 hours. By then I was out of the mood and it was =
dark anyway.

  Did notice some more ripe chiles so reckon I'll go get them in the =
morning if it isn't raining
  again.

  Got to do a little shopping tomorrow also as our kids, grandkids, and =
greatgrandkid are coming over
  Sunday to help me celebrate becoming an official senior citizen. Hit =
the big 62 Sunday and start
  drawing my Social Security in November. Want to commend all you people =
out there working those long
  hours and ask that you keep it up. I want to keep on drawing SS for =
awhile. <VBG>

  It's going to be strange not doing a fall garden this year so reckon =
I'll try to improve some flower
  beds. Got a lot of begonia to rip out of the east strip garden and =
also lots of partridge pea there.
  Need to set out or separate some of the ginger that is doing so well =
in that garden. The butterfly
  ginger is doing exceedingly well, lots of fragrant blooms that are a =
lovely white and do look sort
  of like a butterfly. What I thought was red ginger turns out to be =
some sort of tall lily so that
  gets torn out of that bed too. Reckon Stokes Tropical Garden will get =
some custom from us this year
  as they have some really showy gingers I would like to have.

  Got a couple of outsized cedars to cut out at the northwest corner of =
the house too. They're getting
  rather large and are way to close to the house. There's a few other =
plants out there that need to be
  rooted out and tossed but I have to get clearances from Miz Anne for =
those.

  We start converting the carport into a garage later this month so have =
to go and buy the materials
  soon. Also have to get estimates on the new kitchen so we'll know how =
hard we have to work over the
  next few months. Got a pretty good idea about new floor coverings so =
that will be up around January.
  Then I have a trellis to build in the back and a small gazebo with two =
seats for the front. Should
  keep us busy well into the new year.

  Whats up with all of you?

  George

------=_NextPart_000_0041_01C14412.9B857780

Happy Birthday to George today!  = May there be=20 many more happy ones.

Elizabeth
tiarella@bellsouth.net