Re: [gardeners] Penny's 18" grass

penny x stamm (gardeners@globalgarden.com)
Mon, 1 Oct 2001 21:17:17 -0400

On Mon, 1 Oct 2001 12:33:46 -0500 flylo@txcyber.com writes:
>Your description sounds like Liriope, but it may not get that tall.
>(Doesn't it have a purple spiky flower?)

That does indeed sound like the name!  Thank you muchly, since I
do want several more next spring, to fill the embankment.

Great!  They are thriving in the shade, which surprises me. All
the surrounding trees have grown incredibly, and are now cutting
off much of the original sunshine.

Last Saturday my young helper and I pruned off the understory of
my huge red bud tree, and raised the lower level of the heavily
leafed branches. It already lets in more light (tho not enough) on
the mountain laurel planted behind, and the two hand-raised special
rhododendrons I've been nurturing. I adore that red bud all summer
long, because it is so majestic, and those heart-shaped leaves sway
with the wind all the time.  I have the same problem with the Kousa
dogwood -- the lower branches keep the sun away from the white
azaleas planted behind, and they should have some sunshine. This
summer was the worst -- the kousa kept the light off the bed of the
New Guinea hybrid impatiens which I always plant underneath,
and so they refused to grow tall and lush. After spring bloom, I'll
have to make my choice . . .

My Sanitation Engineers marvel at the amount of garden trash
which two old fogies can produce every week...  I think I'd rather
prune than eat.

Penny, NY

.

GET INTERNET ACCESS FROM JUNO!