Re: [gardeners] Re: winter in a Calif. garden

Kay Lancaster (gardeners@globalgarden.com)
Sat, 19 Jan 2002 02:32:37 -0800 (PST)

On Sat, 19 Jan 2002, penny x stamm wrote:

> Skokie has such a high water table that all homes were required,
> some years ago, to disconnect all roof leaders where they enter the
> ground, and redirect all rainwater now to the driveway and street.
> Hohoho, of course, and then what?????

And here, they're trying to talk folks with more sand and gravel in
the soil than I have into removing gutters and spreading it on the
ground to try to recharge aquifers.

Allegedly, there's a french drain in the backyard here, but I've yet
to find evidence of it.

Ah well... it's not like I'm not used to floods.  I worked through the
midwestern floods of '93, the Willamette Valley floods of '96, and
spent most of the prime gardening time of last summer cleaning up
after the Houston floods, and then recuperating from the cleanup.

Maybe I should check and see if my wetsuit still fits.  ;-)

Kay Lancaster  kay@fern.com