RE: [gardeners] Gardening/food/George

Rosemary Carlson (gardeners@globalgarden.com)
Mon, 1 Apr 2002 10:54:40 -0500

George: Yes, the traditional Mediterranean uses lots of breads and pasta.
What I do is this. I don't eat breads/pasta with every meal. I make meals
heavy on protein. Not like the Dr. Atkins diet but I eat slightly more
protein and fewer servings of bread and pasta. Seldom do I eat potatoes.
Just make the protein part of your meal a bit larger and cut way back on the
pasta/potatoes in dishes you make. I usually use half the pasta called for.
Steam all your veggies or eat loads of salad! You can also roast veggies and
drizzle them with olive oil and Italian spices. Delicious! Eat lots of
cruciferous veggies - broccoli, cabbage, cauliflower. In place of red meat
in dishes like chili, I use ground turkey and it's just as good. BTW, this
was all on my endocrinologist's advice and I feel like I've found the secret
to weight loss/maintenance as well as blood sugar control! My blood sugar,
very brittle recently, has been SO normal since I started this diet.

Try Colavita olive oil for dipping and salad dressing. It's great! I could
eat it by the teaspoon! Olive oil RAISES your HDL or good cholesterol and
helps lower triglycerides. Tomatoes, of course, contain lycopine which is
wonderful for us.

You can actually make up recipes on this diet. If you have cheese, olive
oil, vinegar, tomatoes, meat - you can throw together a hot/cold dish in an
instant. If you need a few carbs, toss in some pasta but not the full amount
the recipe calls for.

I think part of the secret is JUST eating the Mediterranean. Don't cheat. A
problem for all us diabetics! I have not eaten ANYTHING but this diet for
some time now. My weight is dropping - though I don't need to lose much. I
feel GREAT!

After all, 1 out of 5 Americans have heart disease. 1 out of 25 Italians
have heart disease!

Rosemary