[gardeners] Root Guard

Shantihhh@aol.com (gardeners@globalgarden.com)
Fri, 7 Jun 2002 00:23:47 EDT

--part1_a.20020958.2a318f53_boundary

In a message dated 6/6/2002 9:05:39 PM Pacific Standard Time,
owner-gardeners-digest@globalgarden.com writes:

> Dug up, braided and hung our elephant garlic yesterday.  Seven of the
> garlic bulbs had been eaten by pocket gophers.
>
> What is a "gopher wire basket" ?
> Anything like a bulb basket?
> Homemade or purchased?
>
> Olin

You can make them, but hubby is too busy working 100 hours a week and
commuting to Chicago and I am recovering from back surgery.

The ones we bought are twice plus the gauge of aviary wire as it is 20 gauge
and are 1 gallon size. They are soldered on the sides and open up to a
somewhat round configuration.  The bottom is formed by the sides at the
bottom edge folding upward at a grooved point.  Made by Diggers in Soquel, CA
over by Santa Cruz.

They are very expensive at $3 retail each, but will last for many years.  If
I could have I would have bought 20 gauge fine mesh wire and made my own.

They come in 5 gallon and tree size!  They are called Root Guard, made in
China.  If I had the time I would have ordered them wholesale.  LOL

Mary-Anne
USDA Zone 9b
Sunset 14/15

"Who plants the seed beneath the sod, and waits to see, believes in God."