Re: [gardeners] leaves

hboswel1@bellsouth.net (gardeners@globalgarden.com)
Sun, 22 Dec 2002 10:53:07 -0500

Hi Matt!  Good to hear from you....  last Wednesday was Leaf Fall for me.  I've done some leaf clean-up this fall - my Bradford pear and some small trees prov ided about 7 bags of shredded leaves (I use a vac-mulch to get some up, and mulch them with my mower into the collection for others).  But overhanging my yard is the second-largest red oak in Mississippi, a massive tree that you can see on Alan Zelhart's winter garden web page.  It drops a few leaves early, but most always seem to fall in a one or two day period.  And the amount is incredible.  I cleaned up the leaves from the walk in front of a side door, and off the cobblestone walks in my front yard and the front porch, so far.  That has provided 8 bags of shredded leaves.  The yard is covered with leaves a foot deep in some places.  This is one big tree!!  I'll do a cleanup, then just mulch the rest and let them lie.

Harry