Re: [gardeners] West Oz Weather

Marc Winterburn (gardeners@globalgarden.com)
Thu, 13 Mar 2003 00:25:14 +0800

Kind Regards
Marc Winterburn

  ----- Original Message -----=20
  From: Ron Hay=20
  To: gardeners@globalgarden.com=20
  Sent: Wednesday, March 12, 2003 11:47 PM
  Subject: Re: [gardeners] West Oz Weather

  Hello, again,

  Yes, I know exactly what you mean. Even though we live in Los Angeles, =
we are inland, cut off from the sea breezes by the Santa Monica =
Mountains, with the result that we are often 30 degrees F. warmer than =
on the immeidate coast, and often 15 degrees or more warmer than =
downtown Los Angeles, at the Civic Center.

  After such a heat wave, at anywhere from 105 degrees to 109 degrees F, =
which is extreme for  us, it takes days for the house to cool down. =
Sometimes in the morning, after having left all the windows open all =
night, it is still over 80 degrees F inside the house.

  And as for the veggies and garden plants, since that is NOT our rainy =
season, they must be cared for with regular irrigation/watering.

  Ron

------=_NextPart_000_00AA_01C2E8F7.04462FF0

Yep the veggies here suffer = considerably if we=20 aren't on our toes. Mulching helps a lot as does not cultivating as = cultivation=20 breaks the natural capillary tubes that bring water and minerals up from = down=20 deep. I have used the organic surface cultivation growing method for a = long time=20 now with a lot of success.
I am currently writing an article on = the method=20 that will be published on another list or two. I will probably finish it = during=20 my hospital stay Saturday week. I will post a link to the article when = it is=20 completed.

Some people think I'm weird with my = gardening=20 methods, what with playing music and sonic frequencies to my plants,no = dig=20 gardening and foliar feeding. Although foliar feed has come into = its own of=20 late, i have been a keen user
of it for many years.
I am also strictly organic other than = occasionally=20 treating suspect seeds with a tiny amount of fungicide. I figure that = prevention=20 of some of these diseases and funguses is better than belated=20 curing.
Marc
Kind Regards
Marc Winterburn