Re: [gardeners] peanut butter

Sat, 26 Apr 2003 12:21:28 -0500

When our kids were small, say about 30 years ago, we bought most of our
staples from Arrowhead Mills in Hereford, TX. One of the best things
they had was organic peanut butter, had no sugar and only the minimum
amount of peanut oil added to it, also no salt or fats added. Kids ate
it by the 5 lb container with spoons.

Currently I buy Simply Jif, has 33% less sugar than regular peanut
butter and is rated low sodium. Contents are roasted peanuts, 2% or less
of partially hydrogenated soybean oil, fully hydrogenated vegetable oils
(rapeseed and soybean, mono-and digylcerides, molasses, sugar, and salt.
Two tablespoons have 16g of fat with 3g being saturated and has 65 mg of
salt, 2g of sugar. Not to bad for storebought but I am thinking of
making my own. Buy the raw peanuts, shell and roast, add a little olive
oil and whiz them up, either a food processor or a blender should do the
job.

Many years ago we had neighbors who were members of the LDS (Mormons)
and they all went someplace each year and made and canned peanut butter
for the church pantry. Had some with them one time and it was excellent.

George