RE: [gardeners] New hardiness zones -- get the fan

Terry (gardeners@globalgarden.com)
Thu, 29 May 2003 10:25:27 -0700

The thing is, as soon as they officially publish that map the winter temps
will drop to what they used to be in the winter. ;p

As I read more about how the map was compiled I see they used temperatures
from 1986 to 2001.  We moved to this area in 1990.  Since we have lived here
the temperature as been as low as -30 during the coldest winter and only
down to about 11 above during the warmest winter.  With the warming winters
we've had less sunshine and more fog.  I hate long, seemingly unending days
of fog.  That's one of the reasons we moved here, to get out of the coastal
fog.

I was just dinking around looking at NOAA 113 year records. It was
interesting to note that in 112 years the mean winter temperature in Spokane
WA only increased .11 degrees.  If I look at the 1986 to 2001 the mean
winter temperature increase is a whooping .78 degrees.  So it appears this
new hardiness map could be based on too small of a sample to be helpful in
the long term.

Incidentally, the mean annual temperature for Washington State increased .04
degrees since 1895 to 2002 and decreased .38 degrees from 1986 to 2001.

The mean annual temperature for Arizona increased .09 degrees from 1895 to
2002 and .84 degrees from 1986 to 2001.

For Boise, the mean annual temperature increased .21 from 1940 to 2002 and
.94 degrees from 1986 to 2001.

Nationally, the mean winter temperatures has trended upwards .15 degrees
since 1896 and 1.06 degrees from 1986 to 2001.  Mean spring temperatures
increased .11 degrees from 1985 to 2002 and trended to decrease .64 degrees
from 1986 - 2001.  The annual mean temperature trended to increase .10
degree 1985 - 2002 and trended to increased .31 1986-2001

Although I'm no statistician, looking at the over all picture (most of which
I haven't posted) If anything can be said it is that temperatures are
moderating across the country with winters getting noticeably warmer,
summers getting very slightly warmer, spring & fall getting noticeably
cooler.

Terry