Re: [gardeners] Friday in the garden

Sat, 12 Jul 2003 10:56:18 -0500

Beat an egg with milk until lemony colored, cut eggplant into sticks
like potato fries, dip in milk then roll in cornmeal (I shake them in a
bag with cornmeal), drop into hot oil (I use canola) and fry crisp, let
drain. Eat with condiment of choice. That's just number one. We also
make moussaka, a Greek casserole with ground meat, lots of Parmesan,
onion, cinnamon, etc. We leave out part of the recipe, ie the beaten
eggs and the Bechamel sauce and freeze the casserole in small aluminum
trays and vac bag them. I've got twelve in the freezer so don't need
anymore of that. Another good recipe, a dip, is m'tabbel or baba
ghanouj. Toast some pita bread, tear into chunks, and dip it in the baba
ghanouj and enjoy. If you make a little hummous at the same time you can
get the best of all hor d'ouevres. None of this is non-fattening due to
eggs, milk, cheese, etc. And tahini, sesame paste, is definitely not
non-fattening. Just don't eat as much as you would really like.

George