Re: [tomato] What will it take?/Was:Seems insane to me

coneh@uswest.net (Tomato@GlobalGarden.com)
Wed, 21 Oct 1998 22:37:09 -0700

Catharine Vinson wrote:

Catharine,Once again thanks for the encouragement.I will just have to take it on faith that this will all turn out and there are folks willing to *speak out*.

How pleasant and ironic to discover that we have much more in common than the Terminator issue..
It turns out that I discovered heirlooms about 1990. We had relocated here from the North(cool temps) of the state(Idaho)to the s.w.corner with a very different climate (hot summers)..
I had chosen to not return to my previous type of work and was very inspired to see (the now famed) Elizabeth Barry(Berry?,been a long time)of New Mexico on a tv program ,so without going into all the details here ,suffice to say I went on to provide *upscale*restaurants of Boise with exotics and produce comprised of solely heirlooms and open-pollinated varieties.Some 7 years ago I joined Seed Savers Exchange and it has remained so.Yes,I also grow organically(you proably were wondering,huh?)

That was 6yrs ago and it has been a labor of love( a one person operation from seed to delivery) and an eye opening education of where we were and where we are heading...Not that I am opposed to hybrids they have their place and purpose..When feeding the masses,shipping ,etc. becomes a critical concern..Its more that for those who are not compelled to recieve shipped goods,its rather like having access to a growers *private stock*..Much has evolved over the 6 yrs as yours proably has or will also..After all as a business it must make adequate monies to show some profits.

I envy you your writing ability and wonder if you've had education to assist you toward that end?
Also wish to congratulate you and wish you every success upon publication.

I too am signed on to many list,primarily because one can never cease learning and there are so many astute gardeners,growers from which to learn ever more...I never intended to nor set out to get involved with this Term.tech.subject it just struck me as so perverse and truly a threat that here I am...On first impression one might assume that I would be anti technology,a radical type which clings to the past with the heirloom jig,etc.But they would be totally off base ,I do think that science is worthy and is capable of saving/curing us from general famine around the world..But not with this particular science..They've acknowledged that they have done litte to no long term testing to determine the safety of what they hope to put in place..Until they can prove absolutely that it poses no threat,I remain very uneasy with the whole of it.

Well, I know you are pressed for time with your deadline so wont impose any longer...
Its a pleasure to have *met*you and good to know that there are folks committed to such a fine and deserving subject..
Connie