Re: [tomato] Red plastic mulch

William McKay (Tomato@GlobalGarden.com)
Sat, 20 Feb 1999 16:08:20 PST

I have not grown on red plastic yet, although I plan to this year.  Last
summer I had a long conversation with a local farmer who grows all his
tomatoes on red plastic.  Says he gets a 15-20% increase in yield over
black plastic or irt plastic.  Somewhere I read a study on the use of
red plastic and their findings were similar to this farmers'.  This
farmer has the prettiest field I have ever seen.  He grows two acres of
tomatoes.  All on red plastic with white clover growing inbetween the
rows (he cuts it with a riding mower).

You gave me a great idea for an experiment, however.  This year I will
try a few of my tomato seedlings in red plastic cups rather than the
usual six packs or 3 1/2 in pots.  Will be interesting to see if it
makes any difference.

Bill McKay in E. Mass