Re: [tomato] Mulches

William McKay (Tomato@GlobalGarden.com)
Sun, 21 Feb 1999 20:50:16 PST

We do not generally have much aof a problem with wind in New England,
but I heard something which might help in your situation.  Suggestion
was to plant a cover crop in the fall (example was winter rye).  In the
spring, instead of turning it all ink leave a stand of rye every 15 or
twenty feet to serve as a wind buffer.  Later in the summer, once your
tomatoes have grown & are more hardy, mow the rye.  (I have tried to
convince my brother the farmer to leave a rye buffer between every row,
figure out a way to mow it mechanically, and use the cuttings as a
mulch.  He says plastic is easier?

Bill M in E. Mass