Re: [tomato] mycorrhizal Fungi

Thomas Giannou (Tomato@GlobalGarden.com)
Sun, 18 Apr 1999 14:45:52 -0700

Dear Pete,

I just wrote a long post that will give you insight into some other things
that happen with plants treated with VAM fungi.  It isn't just an issue of
giving more fertilizer to a plant to compensate.  It's been my experience
that the cultural methods of using chemical fertilizers simply can not
produce the benefits in plants as may happen with VAM fungi.

I'm going up to my brother's today to take pictures of some tulips.  We had
treated his lawn last fall with VAM fungi.  Tulips have come up that were
under his lawn that he had not seen in years.  The same variety of tulip was
over in a flower bed, but had not been inoculated with the VAM fungi.  The
tulips that came up in his lawn were from a long forgotten bed that was
there years ago.  The blooms are about twice as large and we noticed leaves
that were about 5-6" wide on those tulips.  I've never seen tulips like that
before.  It's been my experience... and it always surprises me... that
plants treated with VAM fungi are larger, healthier, produce more, mature
earlier, are longer lasting, have reduced transplant shock, have better
water retention, have higher disease resistance, are left alone by most
insects, and produce abundantly and taste better than any plant I have ever
tasted which was grown using chemical fertilizers.

Here's another feature I attribute to VAM fungi... a customer had a 13,000
square foot lawn and mowed it once per week and was getting 20 lawnmower
catcher bags of grass with each mowing.  That dropped to 4 catcher bags of
grass after we treated his lawn with VAM fungi.  That freed up a lot of time
on the weekends for that particular customer.  I don't have a lawn that
large, but I was getting around 8 catcher bags of grass and now I get about
1/2 to 1 catcher bag of grass.

Another feature I like in the lawn and the garden is that many weeds are not
mycorrhizal.  When the fungi saturate the soil around their host plant with
their hyphe, my theory is they steal away the nutrients in the water so that
the weeds can not get what they need.  It's strictly a situation of
competition.   Dandilions are not growing in my lawn nor around my Raspberry
plants.  Many other weeds... but not all, have simply dissapeared.  They
can't compete.  I found only four dandilions in my VAM treated lawn last
year.

Another feature I like in the lawn and garden is an explosion in earthworm
populations.  The root biomass of the lawn goes down 17 inches or more and
the garden plants treated with VAM fungi all have much larger root systems.
The worms seem to really flourish in that environment.  There is also a
fertilizer effect from all those worm castings.  They eat up most of the
mulch.  When I get grass clippings, I put them in the garden and the worms
eat them up and leave behind excellent nitrogen fertilizer.

With the reduction in grass clippings and the reduction in weeds, and a
significantly higher level of health in all of my plants, I have never had
so much fun in the past 50 years as this last year with gardening.  Use of
VAM fungi has just freed up a lot of time and effort and allowed me to take
that time and effort and focus it much better.

I got a call from a fellow in Los Vegas a couple of days ago about rock
dust.  His company makes rock dust in Los Angeles.  It's just powdered
volcanic rock.  They add about 80 pounds per acre for tomatoes and it brings
in lots of trace elements not generally found in the fertilizers.  He's
going to send me 50 pounds of that stuff and wants me to test it out.  If
anyone would like some, let me know and I'll gladly share it with you... for
just the cost of shipping it.  One pound would do all of my garden and all
of my lawn.  VAM fungi is very adept at finding and bringing minerals into
their host plants.  It might be interesting to see how well that rock dust
works with VAM fungi and our organic fertilizer and well aged compost with
tomato plants.... it's still too early to plant outside here in Spokane... I
envy all you who have tomatoes producing right now.

Best Regards,
Thomas Giannou
Spokane, Washington