Re: [tomato] Organic preventative for Late Blight??

Lazaro E. P. Peres (Tomato@GlobalGarden.com)
Tue, 27 Apr 1999 21:41:55 -0300

I think that the ancient mix copper sulfate + calcium hydroxide could be
used. It protect the plant against many pathogens (fungus and bacteria) and
is a source of the macronutrients calcium and sulfur and of the
micronutrient copper. However, it will combat the fungus only if sprayed
before the infestation (its a protective fungicide).

Mix 10 g of CuSO4 (copper sulfate) with 7 g of Ca(OH)2 (calcium hydroxide)
and 1 liter of water. Adjust de pH to 6-7 (use indicator paper). If acid,
you can use more Ca(OH)2; if basic, use more CuSO4.

It has low toxicity and although it is really a mix of inorganic salts, I
think it could be considered a "organic" product.

Lazaro Peres
Sao Paulo - Brazil.