Re: [tomato] zone 7

Amy S (Tomato@GlobalGarden.com)
Sun, 27 Jan 2002 16:32:54 +0000

Check out the tomatoes at Chuck Wyatt's site.  They are all heirlooms.  He
has a list of best sellers.  Those might be good to choose from.  Also, in
his main list of tomatoes there are a few designated as "top ten."  Most of
those are pretty good.

If you decide to grow heirlooms make sure you get seed from a reputable
source since some sources sell seeds that do not come true to type and they
can be somewhat tasteless.  Check out Heirloom Seeds, Tomato Growers Supply,
Southern Exposure Seed Exhange, Chuck Wyatt and Johnny's Selected Seeds.

I grew Pruden's Purple and Sun Gold last year and loved them both.  I tasted
Aunt Ruby's German Green which is another great tomato.  Others that I have
heard high praises of are: Cherokee Purple, Brandywine (from Johnny's
Selected Seeds), Red Brandywine from Heirloom Seeds, Omar's Lebanese, Anna
Russian, Jaune Flammee, Brandywine OTV, Aker's West Virginia, Kellogg's
Breakfast, Matina, Soldacki, Box Car Willie, Eva Purple Ball, Earl of
Edgecomb, Caspian Pink, Super Sioux, Mule Team, Gregori's Altai.  I also
grew Stupice last year which was a good early tomato although it couldn't
compete tastewise with the later large tomatoes once they started bearing.
Some of these tomatoes will be better than others for your area but take a
look and see what you think will fit.

I agree with Thomas that your growing practices affect your tomato flavor.
Good soil will help greatly.  Overwatering almost always makes my tomatoes
less flavorful.  Overfertilizing will give good foliage growth and rob from
the fruit.

Have a great tomato year!
Amy