Re: [gardeners] Nigella - Love in a mist

Cheryl & Erich Schaefer (gardeners@globalgarden.com)
Sun, 11 Jan 1998 12:57:03 -0500 (EST)

>At 10:22 PM 1/10/98 -0500, you wrote:
>>At 10:48 PM 1/10/98 PST, you wrote:
>>>Cynthia,
>>>
>>>Good, good.  I'm glad to hear that. I might have received the seeds
>>>from you, maybe Cheryl.  I'd have to check.  I know it was a "C"
>>>lady. :)
>>>
>>>Lillian
>>
>>Must have been Cheryl, I only put them in this past spring for the first
>>time.  I did collect some seed and used the pods in some crafts.  If none
>>pop back up for you, let me know and I'll send you some seed.
>>
>>Cynthia (who chortled when I saw that a few dried Nigella pods were selling
>>for $6 at a local craft show)
>>

>>**Womyn Who Moves Mountains-Little Finger Of Michigan**
>>**cmayeaux@traverse.com **USDA zone 4b-Sunset zone 41**
>>** http://www.geocities.com/SoHo/Studios/2659/garden/cynthia.html **
>>** http://rdz.stjohns.edu/lists/fiftysomethingwomen/ **
>>
>How did you get them started?  Friends say "oh, just throw them on the
>ground..."  Nigella didn't germinate for me like that.  Of course, I do
>have the world's population of California quail, house finches and sparrows
>eating everything loose in my yard...Margaret

I've always wondered why it is that things like nigella will reseed with no
problem whatsoever but if we dare to just drop the seed on the soil with
our hands, often nothing comes up. So, I hedged my bets and dropped some
and started some in the usual ways. I swear every seed germinated in the
tray and on the ground, too. Nigella is among the easiest, IMHO, so,
Margaret, I'm sure the birds were responsible.

Cheryl Schaefer
schaefer @epix.net
Zone 5 in the fabulous Finger Lakes of NY