Re: [gardeners] The Freezing Rain Warning Has Ended

Marianne Lepa (gardeners@globalgarden.com)
Tue, 13 Jan 1998 15:03:15 -0500

At 07:55 AM 1/13/98 -0700, you wrote:

>Thanks very much, Marianne.  Epazote is a weed, according to many, and some
>will say it self-seeds freely.  It is not invasive IMO, and I have to
>replant it most years.  Use a little in bean dishes.  I think it's an
>excellent flavoring.  Diana Kennedy's "Cuisines of Mexico" also calls for
>it in Huitlacoche quesadillas.  Now huitlacoche is an adventure.  They're
>canning it under the name of Maize mushrooms or something like that, but
>extension agents such as the now wary Bob Stewart of the Gardens list call
>it corn smut.  Canners can't keep up with the demand.  Epazote is similar
>to Lambs Quarter, but taller and coarser in appearance.  I think you'll
>like it.  Margaret

Uh yeah, Margaret, I saw your huitlachoche recipe in Algy's recipe
exchange. Being from the dairy districts I, uh, didn't realize that stuff
was edible.............

Hopefully I won't have George and Liz's experience with the seeds and I'll
get a chance to try epazote out. (in bean dishes <g>)

Thanks,
Marianne
Southeastern Ontario AgCan zone 5b