Re: [gardeners] Spring in February?

Terry King (gardeners@globalgarden.com)
Mon, 16 Feb 98 10:30:01 -0600

Athough I still have 8 to 10 inches of snow on my garden it is definitely spring
here!  I have 7 lambs on the ground (a month early) and song birds are
returning.  So far I've seen red-wing black birds, pine siskins and a sparrow.
And finally the gardening bug has been gnawing.  I bought some seed starting
flats and starter mix at Wally world the other day and a couple packages of
seeds.

I've also been kicking around the idea of going out to scrap the snow of some
garden areas so I can get my garlic planted asap.

On Fri, 13 Feb 1998 17:02:58 +0000, Liz Albrook wrote:

>I've got Blue Pearl crocus and large yellow crocus blooming!
>What a shock that was to see.  There are hyacinths that will be
>blooming within the week and tulips that are about 5 inches high,
>neither of which is in a protected area.  The buds on the little leaf
>lindens we planted last year are quite swollen (which scares the
>dickens out of me) and the first dandelion bloomed today.  About 1/2
>of my perennials have started growing.
>
>Do you folks have this going on?  I'm worried about losing my trees
>to a hard freeze.  This activity is at least 3 weeks early for my
>region.
>
>Liz

Terry King                  North Central Eastern Washington
taeking@televar.com        USDA zone 4, Sunset Zone 1